Announcing An All New Presskit Theme: Gray Steel!
To our amazing Presskit.to users!
It has been a little over a year since we released Presskit.to into public beta and we couldn’t be happier with how far we’ve come in such a short time. With your help, we have grown to over 4,000 creative users who are building & distributing Presskits to promote their initiatives. We’re also working with some really top level names in the industry, from chart-topping artists like Karmin, to fine arts institutions like Berklee College of Music and label service legends Caroline Distribution (UMG). My team and I have heard some incredible success stories of how our ‘kits have helped users get professional representation, press or blog coverage, sponsorships, gigs, jobs, scholarships and new customers, and it’s an honor to have played a role in these developments.
One of the coolest things we’ve discovered is that musicians aren’t the only creators using Presskit.to; Actors, comedians, producers, directors, authors, voice-over artists, public speakers, app developers, and even street performing contortionists are building ‘kits to promote their creative talents. I’ve already been a professional carnie, musician, tour manager, marketing director, label exec., session player, and now - an aspiring tech entrepreneur. It makes perfect sense for us to create a tool that caters to the greater Creator community, which is why I’m extremely excited to announce our new theme that we’re calling “Gray Steel”. It’s a little more gray than blue, but it’s still really, really, really ridiculously good looking.
Doug, our fearless CTO and our Dev Wizard, Mr. Steve Callan have been working their butts off on this new look and functionality after numerous discussions we had with musicians, actors, directors, and publicists looking to have a “Media Spotlight” section at the top of each ‘kit. This addition allows actors to put their reel front & center without making people go to the videos section of the media tab to view it, or for musicians to highlight a new track or video.
Introducing Gray SteelGray Steel brings many slick layout changes to the Presskit that you can see first hand on Gentlemen Hall’s Presskit embedded below. SAY WHAT?! A fully-functional Presskit embedded into a blog post? Hot damn. That’s kinda cool…
Switching your Presskit to Gray Steel
As we roll out the new theme it will be included with all Classic or paid plans (SOLO, INDIE, PRO, PREMIER, etc.) but we’re also offering it to Starter users for a limited time for a one-time purchase of $5 because we really think everyone should use it!
Exciting New Features
Along with releasing Gray Steel, we snuck in a few new features that have been some of our most requested yet. You can read more about them and watch quick little videos on the Gray Steel page, but we’re excited to give you personalized background images for each of your Presskits, "Wimages", which allow you to accompany your Wins with press clippings and related artwork, and most importantly a new Media Spotlight section so you can easily call attention to your newest or most important song (or playlist), video or image. We’ve also added a ton of new link icons for services that you’ve requested.
Thank you all for being with us as we continue to grow and develop tools to help advance your career. We care deeply about helping artists of all disciplines find ways to build sustainable careers in the arts, and we couldn’t do it without you and your feedback. Please let us know what you think of our service and request the new theme when you have a second. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Make it happen!
Embeddable Presskits, Refreshed Control Panel, Improved Stats & MORE!
After a lot of hard work and an obscene amount of caffeine, we’re excited to announce the first of several product updates coming your way. Quietly launched this past Friday, this release includes some really cool stuff as well as a bunch of improvements under the hood that set us up for much bigger updates and new features arriving later this summer.
To start things off, we completely overhauled the control panel to make editing and sharing your Presskit much easier. We also added a new feature that makes it super easy to embed your ‘kit directly on your website or really anywhere that supports HTML. You can read about all of the updates below.
As always, thank you for your continued support as we work toward our goal of providing an awesome web app which allows artists and their teams to communicate more effectively and ultimately, do more business. We’re listening to you.
[7/12/2013] v1.1 public beta
Control Panel Navigation: Refreshed the nav making it easier to build, manage & share your Presskit.
- Clearly marked buttons for View Presskit & Settings located right below your cover photo.
- Manage your Project Members, Contacts, and Media (Audio, Video, Images & Files) with a single click from the sidebar. No need to go digging through other pages anymore!
- The Share page is now called Share & Embed.
Embeddable Presskits: Embed your Presskit on any website that supports HTML.
- Embed your Presskit directly on your website’s Press page or create a Press tab on Facebook.
- People can stay on your site while having full access to the contents of your ‘kit.
- All future updates that you make to your Presskit will automatically show up on your embedded Presksits.
Activity page: We made a few adjustments to the activity page.
- Our new Daily Views graph allows you to learn more about the traffic to your Presskit and whether your efforts are seeing a return.
- We’ve rebuilt our view counter so now selfies won’t inflate your view totals. You may notice that your lifetime view count is a little lower than before, but it’s a much more accurate because it doesn’t include your own views.
- New share buttons make it really easy to send your Presskit to contacts and groups on Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.
Calendar: We took an entirely new approach to our calendar.
- You can now manage your calendar in the list view as you did before, or in an all new calendar view.
- The Create Event form now supports the time of your event which will come in handy for a future update that we’re very excited about.
- This update also paves the way for our Songkick integration which is launching very soon!
Media: This round of updates saw minor adjustments to the media section, but more are slated to launch soon!
- You can now reorder Images & Files without re-uploading or deleting anything. Just click & drag them into the order that you need and you’re good to go!
Re-order Project Members, Links & Contacts:
- You can also now reorder your Project Members, Links, & Contacts. WOOHOO!
Boutique Services: We launched our new services page. Read the announcement here!
"Guess No More" Webinar Recap
Last Wednesday we held the second installment of our Presskit.to webinar series. We were joined by panelists Chris Bolton of CD Baby and Marcus Taylor of Venture Harbour to discuss using data to really learn about your fans. The duo had some great suggestions on using data to find actionable tactics and strategies such as working backwards by first identifying the question you want answered and then finding the relevant data to draw a solid conclusion.
If you missed the webinar, or want a recap of the presentation, we’ve archived it on both YouTube and SoundCloud.
We hope you’ll join us for our next webinar!
Tips & Takeaway Points
- Use data to understand how you can best promote a potential marketing campaign, and how you can effectively plan for moving forward - making the most out of your time & budget.
- Use “tags” to track data through Google Analytics to see how engaged your audience is, and how they react to your campaign.
- Track data that deals with your target demographic, cities you should be touring in, or simply data that answers your questions.
- Don’t get caught up with vanity metrics - data that does not create a clear, actionable outcome.
- Number of Facebook page likes or Twitter followers cannot drive fact-based decisions, and are an example of vanity metrics.
- Track your data closely and carefully,as a spike in traffic could be due to an audience landing upon your content while on the search for something else.
- Engage with your audience to attain the best social interaction possible on social networks.
- Data you produce is historical,and although it can help make educated decisions, it cannot necessarily predict the future.
- Most importantly, KNOW your audience - no more guessing!
All-new Webinar Series Premiers April 25th!
This Thursday, April 25th we’re hosting a FREE, one-hour webinar that we’ve dubbed “The Art of Tasteful Boasting: How to write a press-worthy biography & tagline. We are very excited to play host to an AWESOME cast of Panelists, including:
We’ll be discussing the challenges that go along with writing strong artist bios and attention grabbing taglines for use in your Presskit, press releases, and one sheets. We’ll be covering topics like finding your narrative voice and overcoming writer’s block. We’ll also open it up for questions so you can ask about anything we don’t cover.